Before You Leave
- Post Office: set up forwarding address
- Credit Card Accounts
- Newspaper and Magazine Subscriptions: notice may require several weeks
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer Funds; arrange for banking services in new community / city
- Notify company of new location for coverage: Life, Health, Home, Fire, Auto, AAA
- Gas, Electricity, Water, Sewer, Garbage, Phone / TV / Internet
- Obtain refunds on any deposits made
Medical / Dental
- Ask your doctor / dentist for transfers of prescriptions, eyeglasses, medical records
- Visit http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/animals.htm to read new requirements regarding pet transportation by air.
- Veterinarian – request pet records
Don’t Forget To
- Empty Freezer, plan use of food
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Remember arrangements for TV / Cable service
- Clean rugs and clothing before moving; have them moving-wrapped
- Check with your Moving Representative; insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping, methods and time of expected payments.
- Carry enough cash / travelers checks to cover costs of moving, services, quick cash and expenses until you make banking arrangements in new location
- Carry jewelry and key documents yourself; or use registered mail
- Plan for transporting of pets; consult with your veterinarian
- Let close friends or relatives know the routes and schedule you will travel, including Overnight stops; use one key contact as your message headquarters.
- Leave all old keys / remotes needed by new owner
At Your New Home
- Obtain certified checks or cashiers check necessary for closing of Real Estate Transaction.
- Check on new services: gas, electricity, water, sewer/garbage, telephone, television, cable, internet.
- Check pilot light on stove, water heater, and HVAC
- Have appliances checked / serviced
- Contact Postal Service for any mail that may be held prior to your arrival
- Contact DMV for change of address / auto registration
- Visit city offices and Registrar of Voters
- Register children at preferred school(s)
- Arrange Medical Services: Doctor, Dentist, Optometrist, Veterinarian.